Witness Testimony: “I saw two small eyes peering out at me from the wall”

In this reader submitted paranormal encounter, all is not as it seems the morning after a Halloween party. (Image source: Pixabay.com)

When Scout offered to provide decorations for a college Halloween party, he could not have imagined the terror he would experience during the clean-up. The house, it would seem, had been forever changed by the happenings that took place during the party the night before…

Editor’s note: The following account has been edited to correct grammatical errors and increase clarity of information. 

“I saw two small eyes peering out at me from the wall.”

A few years ago, when I was in college, I was at a Halloween party at my friend’s house. I arrived a few hours before everyone else with another friend of mine because we both owned all sorts of party equipment. Lasers, fog machines, strobe lights, black lights, you name it. I’m not going to lie, we spent way too much time setting up for this party, but in the end, it was probably worth it. A few hours after we finished decorating the place, loads of people started showing up. It was a pretty good size party, I’d say at least seventy or eighty people showed up, which was fine as the house was enormous. It was a really fun night, and to this day it is still probably one of the best parties that I have ever been to.

I left the house at around two a.m. to give several people a ride home. I was planning on going back at first, however I was pretty exhausted after dropping everyone off so I just decided to call it a night. The next morning, I drove back over to my friend’s house to collect all of my party equipment. I had to work early that day, so I made sure to arrive at the house at around 6:15. It was still very dark out when I pulled into the driveway, and the house was completely empty, since my friend had already left for work. I hurried up to the front door, which had been left unlocked for me. I reached out my hand and grabbed the door handle, and then began to twist the knob. The moment I stepped into that house, I was overwhelmed with a very uneasy sensation in my gut. I had never felt a genuinely creepy vibe like this before. Something just felt unnatural about the atmosphere in that place. I had been in that house several times before, but there was never anything even remotely creepy or unusual about it. This was totally out of the ordinary.

The author of this story claims to have experienced the unexplained when packing away decorations after a Halloween party. (Image source: Pixabay.com)

I tried to just ignore the feeling at first, assuming that it was likely the result of anxiety since I was afraid that I might be late for work. But there was no denying that something had happened after I left the party the previous night. Not only was the atmosphere different, but the place itself. I began walking around the house, just to get a good look at the destruction left behind in the aftermath of the party. It was a total mess. Confetti, empty beer bottles, balloons, and glow sticks were littered across every square inch of the floor. Most of the party lights were still turned on, even though I had told my friend to turn them off before she went to bed. The longer I looked around the place, the more I noticed just how many things were simply just out of place. It was almost like the girls were playing a prank on me. 

For some strange reason, the TV was spun around and facing the wall, and there were seven wooden chairs stacked on top of each other in a pyramid fashion in the family room. The next odd thing I noticed was that in one section of the house, there were about forty or so popped glow in the dark balloons that had been nailed all over the walls – nailed with kitchen knives. I think there might’ve been some sort of pattern to the placement of the balloons, but I couldn’t really tell for sure. At first I thought that some college kids had made a lousy attempt at creating a crude shape out of the balloons, but on closer inspection I’m pretty sure it was just some random numbers. 

Anyway, things started to get really creepy about ten minutes after I stepped foot into the house. Sudden pounding on the walls upstairs would occur every two to three minutes, and I would frequently get the sensation that someone was standing right behind me, or even above me. I was startled a couple of times by the sound of rapid footsteps, which sounded like they were coming from the ceiling. As I was winding up some string lights on the second floor of the house, I once again heard rapid footsteps coming from the family room, followed by a loud crashing sound. I immediately spun around in the direction of the sound to see that the living room chandelier, which hung probably twenty feet off the ground, was swaying back and forth as if someone had just run into it at full speed. 


This was enough to make me run out of the house and into the front yard. The moment I walked outside I felt much calmer, although I was still pretty freaked out. I was also intrigued, as I had never encountered anything paranormal before. Deciding that I needed back-up, I called up one of my friends who wasn’t working that day and asked him to help me collect the party supplies. After about ten minutes of sitting outside the house, my friend arrived in his car. We both walked up and into the house. Immediately, my friend gave me a look like, ” whoa, what the hell?”, and I just nodded my head and chuckled a bit. It wasn’t just me. Thankfully, my friend didn’t freak out and run away like I thought he would. Instead, we continued to gather up all the remaining party supplies together, without leaving each other’s sight. 

Terrified by the happenings in the house, Scout called his friend to help him finish the job. (Image source: Pixabay.com)

I definitely felt more at ease knowing that someone else was there with me, but that didn’t stop the weird things from happening. The footsteps started up again no more than five minutes after we entered the house. And, in addition to that, we started hearing unexplainable voices and grunting sounds. I remember hearing a frantic voice from upstairs at one point. It sounded like someone speaking from the far end of a large tunnel, with the voice echoing in an odd way. The best I can describe it is that it sounded like a tremolo effect on a guitar. My friend and I both heard the voices several times, however neither of us could discern what was being said.

Later on, I was up in the loft using a pair of scissors to cut off down the black and orange streamers which were taped to the top of the balcony that overlooked the living room. The whole time I was kneeling down at the end of the balcony, I couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was looking at me from behind. I remember turning around several times, only to be confronted with an empty room.

It was when I was almost done cutting down the streamers that I reach in my pocket and pulled out my phone to check the time. I raised the phone to my face, yet, before I could click the power button, I was instantly frozen in fear. The black phone screen reflected the room behind me, and in this reflection I caught a quick glimpse of something straight out of a horror movie. I swear I saw two small eyes peering out at me from the wall. From the wall. I don’t mean I saw a figure near the wall staring at me, I mean there were literally two, tiny eyes sticking out of the wall! Nothing else, just eyes. I gasped in horror at the sight and as soon as I did, the eyes retreated back into the wall in a flash. I then turned around to once again find nothing there. 


This was my limit. I even muttered something to myself to that effect, before standing up and walking towards the stairs to get off the second floor. I got to maybe the 12th step from the bottom when I saw a very dark, fuzzy looking silhouette coming up the stairs towards me. I fell over onto my back in shock, and then raced back into the loft. I couldn’t even leave! From the loft, I could hear a high pitched hissing sound coming from the stairs, which freaked me out more than anything. With no other way out, I climbed over the balcony railing, grabbed onto one of the supporting pillars, and began to slide down it like a fireman’s pole. When I made it to the bottom, my friend and I exchanged horrified looks. We both sat down on the couch and just looked up at the loft. He said he heard the hissing as well. I really wanted to leave at that point but we were so close to being finished. With no other choice, we both swallowed our fear, and continued gathering up the supplies. All we had left to do at this point was grab all the black lights. Since there were quite of them, both upstairs and downstairs, we decided to split up. I stayed downstairs and gathered up all the lights, while my friend went upstairs. 

Nothing strange happened to me while my friend was upstairs replacing all the black lights. However, when he came back down, something seemed a little off about him, almost like he was in some kind of trance. He later told me that his memory of what had happened upstairs was fuzzy, and that he couldn’t even remember how he had got downstairs after he was finished. He explained how he had been in one of the upstairs bathrooms unscrewing one of the black light bulbs that I had put in place of the normal white ones for the party. Apparently, while in there, the entire house suddenly began to shake violently. He described it as feeling as though somebody had just grabbed the whole house and started shaking it back and forth like an angry kid. Startled, he had dropped the black light on the floor. It was at this point that his memory went fuzzy. He said there was a gap in his memory, as he simply could not recall getting from that bathroom to the living area downstairs.

Upstairs and downstairs, every room in the house seemed to be in the grip of an unnatural energy. (Image source: Pixabay.com)

When my friend joined me downstairs, I asked him if he had got all the black lights and he said yes. After that, he asked me if I had felt the earthquake. I had not felt anything like that, and told him that I didn’t know what he was talking about. My friend said that the shaking had made him drop one of the black lights. I must have looked confused as he asked me what was wrong. I told him that he had just said he had all the black lights. He seemingly had no recollection of this, and repeated that he had not brought one of the lights down as he had dropped it. We discussed this weird moment for a little longer before we both decided to go upstairs into the bathroom. When we got there, we saw that the light bulb was indeed on the ground in a million different pieces. As strange as this was, neither of us really thought too much of it. The strangest part was my friend’s memory distortion. He told me that the more he thought about being in the bathroom, the more distant the memory felt – almost like he was trying to remember something that had happened years ago, like an old childhood memory.

After we finished putting all the alcohol in a black trash bag, we went back out to the car and threw all the party stuff in the trunk. After that, we both agreed to go back inside one last time to make sure we didn’t miss anything.

We were only in the house for about two minutes, when we both froze in place after hearing a very aggressive growling sound coming from the upstairs loft. Charging footsteps echoed through the house as something neither of us could see sprinted towards the balcony railing. The railing then bent backwards as if something had climbed up onto it before leaping off. Not two seconds had passed before we heard a deafening crash several feet away from where we were standing. We looked up to see a large portrait, which was hanging on the wall next to us, shatter into thousands of pieces. I swear there was an impression in the center of the picture that looked like someone just dove head first into it. I think it goes without saying that my friend and I both ran out of the house immediately after this happened.

As we were running away from the house, it felt like I was being pulled back towards it. Very similar to when a strong current sucks you in towards a building wave. It was that same kind of force. When we finally left the house, it felt like we had been inside for years, even though it had definitely been no more than an hour. There was just something so unnatural about that place, even time didn’t run right.


I found out later that day that some of the kids had started messing around with a Ouija board not long after I left the party the night before. The girl who owned the house said that they didn’t notice anything weird at first, but after an hour or so people started getting weirded out by the atmosphere, with some even saying they saw shadows running across the ceiling. 

My friend told me that she was so scared of being in that house alone that she ended up spending the night at her ex-boyfriend’s house. I haven’t been back to her house since that day, but I heard that it’s not that bad anymore. Other than the occasional unexplained footsteps, the house still seems completely normal. My friend, however, she told me that she gets night terrors when she stays the night there, so she usually just sleeps at her mom’s house. I for one am actually quite thankful to have gone into that house, because it gave me a reason to believe in the paranormal – after all I experienced there, I am certain that there is much more to life than what meets the eye. Although I must say, that morning is not something I would want to experience ever again.

Do you have a story to share? Get in touch using this contact form.


You may also enjoy these stories:

About Laura Rowton 82 Articles
Laura Rowton is a filmmaker and paranormal researcher. In 2019, she released her debut feature documentary on life after death, "In Search of the Dead", which she co-produced with her husband, Erik. Follow her on Instagram for more.